The Friends of Freedmen's Cemetery


The Friends of Freedmen's Cemetery are happy to make available to the public a wealth of primary source data relating to Alexandria's African American community of the eighteenth and nineteenth century. We are particularly happy to have a record of the deaths and burials of Alexandria's freed people (see the "Gladwin Record"). We hope that the information will be valuable statistically, anecdotally, and most important, genealogically. Although we are most interested in the Civil War and Reconstruction eras, we are trying to bridge the temporal and geographical gaps between the "modern" era of African American research — 1870 and later — and the days of slavery. As our volunteers continue their research and transcription efforts, we will add more sources.

Please remember that many of the historical documents and excerpts cited were created during the eighteenth, nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and reflect prevalent attitudes and language used at the time.

Individuals and Families

Civil War and Reconstruction-Era Records:

Later Records:

Pre-Civil War Records:


Freedmen's Cemetery Historical Site Marker - E 109 Freedmen's Cemetery - Federal authorities established a cemetery here for newly freed African Americans during the Civil War. In January 1864, the military governor of Alexandria confiscated for use as a burying ground an abandoned pasture from a family with Confederate sympathies. About 1,700 freed people, including infants and black Union soldiers, were interred here before the last recorded burial in January 1869. Most of the deceased had resided in what is known as Old Town and in nearby rurual settlements. Despite mid-twentieth-century construction projects, many burials remain undisturbed. A list of those interred here has also survived.

Friends of Freedmenís Cemetery
638 North Alfred Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
E-mail: freedmen@juno.com

Freedmen's Cemetery Logo - This logo was designed by Alexandria Archaeology Assistant City Archaeologist, Dr. Steven Shephard, in 2006. The beautifully executed final drawing was made by Alexandria Archaeology volunteer, Mr. Andrew Flora, who made a few modifications. At the center of the logo is a headboard of the design seen in historic photographs of the Alexandria National Cemetery, established at the north end of Wilkes Street in 1862. These grave markers were supplied by the U.S. Army Quartermaster Department in Alexandria and records state that this department also supplied the headboards and coffins for Freedmens Cemetery. The pine boards were whitewashed and the plot number, and presumably, the name of the deceased, and possibly the date of death, were painted in black on the headboard. The number 1864 in the logo represents the year that the cemetery was established. The black silhouette of the African American woman in the center of the board is meant to represent the people, the Freedmen, who were buried at the cemetery. Civilian men, women and many children were buried here, along with African American soldiers of the United States Colored Troops. The rays radiating from the top of the headboard are meant to represent the light of freedom, as well as the souls of the Freedmen ascending into heaven and their final reward. The F and C are for Freedmen's Cemetery. The surrounding broken chain wreath symbolizes the severed bonds of slavery which resulted from the American Civil War which transformed Alexandria and the nation.

March 25th, 2011